I am livid over the state of my computer right now. The failures that I have experienced with this Dell have been beyond what I would consider as acceptable. Let’s recap:
1. 1.5 months after purchase the entire motherboard, heat sink, fan and other innards need to be replaced. In addition, the actual covering needs to be replaced because the Dell logo has peeled off.
2. The technician who did the previous repairs did not install the computer fan properly causing it to severely overheat. All the above parts are replaced again a week after the first repair.
3. 6 months later the graphic card fails and needs to be replaced.
4. 2 weeks after the warranty expires the computers battery no longer holds any charge whatsoever. The replacement cost for this battery is $250. I don’t think so. I am not paying that much for a batter to last a year.
5. 1 month ago the computer’s fan begins mysteriously starting and stopping in quick succession. A Dell technician connects to my computer and flashes the BIOS which is not exactly the safest thing to do to a computer.
6. This week something else is broken. It seemed like a similar issue to the graphics card, however now the computer will not turn on at all. It is no longer under warranty.
For numbers 1-5 I was still in graduate school with all my work and scientific data on this computer. Furthermore, I had to sit around and wait for the Dell guys to come and fix my computer. I missed two days of class because they told me they would come on one day and then didn’t show up. I’m smart enough to back up my data, but I still couldn’t study and couldn’t do anything related to school because I had to sit in my room without any type of computer. Now I haven’t lost anything that essential, but I am still extremely annoyed.
I have been a loyal Dell customer for about 10 years and due to the malfunctions of this dreadful machine I will never purchase another Dell again. Many other people with this computer have had similar issues which leads me to believe that there is a major design flaw in this particular laptop. Dell isn’t going to give me a new computer and I don’t expect them to, but I would appreciate some form of compensation. Of course I won’t be getting anything. I do not think I will ever purchase another Dell and would not recommend their products.
I apologize for any egregious spelling or grammatical errors in this post, but my pilot needs his computer back so he can work now.